Lensmen Photography, Video & Time-lapse were honoured to be selected as the official photographer for the Law Society’s Justice Media Awards held last week on 4 June. The awards are held every year to recognise outstanding coverage of legal issues in print and broadcast media at both local and national levels. According to the Law Society, the awards give national recognition to published works or broadcasts which:
- Promote the highest standards in legal journalism
- Foster greater public understanding of the law, the legal system or any specific legal issue
- Inform and educate citizens as to the roles in society of the law, the courts, law enforcement agencies and the legal profession
- Disclose practices or procedures needing reform so as to encourage the development and modernisation of Irish laws, courts and law enforcement agencies, and/or
- Assist the legal profession, the judiciary, and all others involved in the administration of justice in attaining the highest professional standards.
In his address at the ceremony, the President of the Law Society, Kevin O’Higgins, said these awards were the longest running media awards in the country, having reached their 23rd year in 2015. He said: “Down the years, these awards have recognised the excellent work done by journalists in helping to explain the law and significant legal issues to the general public…To my mind, anything that contributes to a greater understanding of the law and the Irish legal system is to be recommended. In that respect, the Justice Media Awards have made – and continue to make – a valuable contribution to that process of understanding.”
The winner of the 2015 Justice Media Overall Award was Ann Murphy of the Evening Echo for her excellent series: When love breaks down – relationship law in Ireland. This was a week-long series of articles looking at the legal complications behind the break-up of a relationship; e.g. family law, divorce law, statistics on break-ups and options for domestic abuse victims.
Lensmen are available to provide photographic coverage of any similar awards event that our organisation may be planning, no matter how big or small. We can also provide video coverage, time-lapse videos of the whole event and record testimonials or interviews with the award recipients. If you are in need of a photographer or videographer for your next event, contact us on 01 819 7738 or firstname.lastname@example.org.